The day you get a drawer is a monumental day in a relationship. If you’re lucky enough to have a drawer at his place, congratulations! For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s likely because you’ve never gotten one (sorry blondie.) Getting a drawer is when the guy you’re dating clears out all his crap from one (or more) of his drawers, to make way for your lovely stuff. It’s likely come to the point in the relationship where you’re spending nights at his place and staying over all the time, that a ‘travel bag’ and trips back and forth between his place and yours just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Most girls who get a drawer see it as a stepping stone. ‘To the next step,’ we think as we blush at the idea of marking our territory in his place. As we should. Getting a drawer symbolizes his comfort with you around. It shows you that he’s happy to have you around so much so that he’s willing to give up some of his personal space for you (lucky bitch.) He wants you to feel more at home in a ‘mi casa, su casa’ kind of way. So you guys have The Talk and before you know it, an empty drawer (or two) awaits.
The typical drawer space to get is about two drawers, which I’ve learned in past relationships. The first is the ‘thought that counts’ kind of drawer and the second is the ‘I get that you have a lot of stuff and I’m willing to accommodate said stuff’ kind of drawer.
So what do you put in the drawer you’ve just won in the lottery of love? Well pretty lady, that depends on what your go-to items are during the week. Here are my tips to have a good variety of stuff on call in case something comes up while you’re chilling at the apple-of-your-eyes’ place and don’t have a chance to run home:
– Comfy clothes: Because we can’t be in a matching lace bra and thong set all the time…ok, well we can but it’s great to have a pair of sweats and a hoody around just in-case you want to bundle up (in something other than his arms), or in case it’s your turn on call for a Starbucks run.
– An LBD and classic pumps: You get over to your guys place and he decides it’s time for a date night? Perfect. No worrying about not being under dressed, the little black dress and a pair of classic pumps gives you lots of moving space for various last minute happenings that may emerge.
– A pair of skinny jeans, a blouse and a cardigan: Think about packing for a weekend-getaway, blondettes. You never know how the weather is going to be, or what you’re going to do, so you cover the basics and mix and match accordingly. Treat his drawers like your Louis Vuitton travel bag and you’ll be all set.
– Lingerie/hot little numbers:I always like having a few ‘pick me up’s’ on hand when I have a couple drawers at my man’s place. It keeps him on his toes and if you’re feeling extra flirty (amongst other things) you’ll have these hot little numbers ready for their close up.
– The other guys: Perfume, deodorant, a few tampons. Not as glamorous stuff but still essentials to have on call for all the obvious of reasons.
The drawer allows you to say goodbye to walk of shames (I swear they aren’t shameful, we’ve been together for 13 months!), to wearing the same pair of underwear two days in a row (really?), to being under dressed when a last minute invite comes your way and most importantly, to the uncertainty you had regarding the man in your life’s feelings towards you. You may not have a ring, and you may not be living under the same roof (officially) just yet, but getting a drawer (or two) of your very own is a huge step. So pat yourself on your bronzed back, get packing and on behalf of blonde, bronzed, twentysomethings everywhere, congratulations you little minx you!
– Jenny Jen